Unless you have been living under a rock, you have heard of cryptocurrency. If you haven’t heard of it, worry not, check out our post on cryptocurrency, and you will be up and running in no time. As discussed in that post, choosing a convenient digital wallet to store your digital money is a necessity. Of the digital wallet covered in the above-mentioned post, one of them was the hardware wallet; this is what we will be looking at.
What is a cryptocurrency hardware digital wallet?
A hardware wallet is a special type of cryptocurrency wallet that stores the digital money in a secure hardware device. Check out the nitty gritty here.
Advantages of a hardware digital wallet
It is common knowledge that hardware digital wallets are much better than their virtual counterparts because:
- private keys stored in the device cannot be copied as plain text.
- Immune to computer malware and viruses.
- Can store different cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Litecoin, Etherium, and ZCash just to name a few.
Apart from the advantages mentioned above, there is so much more you can get from these devices. In this post, we will list the best five cryptocurrency hardware wallets for you to choose from. Here are five best cryptocurrency hardware wallets.
Ledger Nano S
- Check and confirm transactions on the display and confirm with using the physical buttons (anti-malware second factor)
- Your confidential data is never exposed: it is secured inside a strongly isolated environment locked by a PIN code
- Use companion apps such as cryptocurrencies wallets, and also FIDO U2F, GPG, SSH or build your own applications
- Ledger Nano S supports the FIDO Universal Second Factor authentication standard on Google, Dropbox, GitHub or Dashlane
- Your accounts are backed up on a recovery sheet. Easy restoration on any Ledger device or compatible wallets (BIP39/BIP44)
Trezor bitcoin wallet
- Ultimate security
- Ease of Use: works on Windows, OS X, and Linux. Plug in the provided USB cable
- Modern Cryptography
- Community driven open-source
- Bank-Grade Security that is Simple: KeepKey is the most secure bitcoin wallet available. It makes best-practice bitcoin security easy so that even your grandmother can protect her bitcoin wealth.
- Backup and Recovery: During initialization, you are given the one-time opportunity to write down a backup of your KeepKey in the form of a twelve-word recovery sentence. If your KeepKey is lost or stolen, you can safely recover your device and its bitcoins without compromising the security of your private keys.
- Virus and Malware Proof: Because KeepKey does not have an operating system, the layers that viruses, malware, and key loggers infect do not exist on the device. Using KeepKey gives you confidence that hackers can't get to your bitcoins.
- Multi-Currency Support: KeepKey not only supports Bitcoin, but also Ethereum, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, and Testnet.
- Works on PC, Mac, Linux, and Android: KeepKey is a USB HID-class device. That means, like a typical mouse or keyboard, drivers are not required. Plug in the provided premium USB cable, and your device just works: immediately giving you the highest level of bitcoin security.
- Battery-powered, Bluetooth* and USB enabled, the Ledger Blue can operate with any computer and smartphone.
- The Blue embeds a color display and a large touchscreen with anti scratch glass, encased in a strong cover.
- The Blue is built upon an advanced operating system that supports easy installation of applications, accessible via a quick-launch dashboard. Install & remove apps with Ledger Manager Free firmware upgrades Enterprise app licensing & support
- Your confidential data is never exposed: it is strongly secured and isolated inside a Secure Element, locked by a PIN code.
- Supports Fido, Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Zcash, Dash coin etc..
- Offline, anytime backup and recovery with a micro SD card. Native software client avoids security risks of browser-based clients
- Plausible deniability with hidden wallets and backups.Private keys kept on a high-security chip that prevents physical extraction (50 year lifespan).
- Tor and Tails OS compatible to protect your privacy.
- Portable, extremely durable case filled with epoxy and packed with security. Multisig out-of-the-box (optional to use).
- Smart verification and second-factor authentication mobile app (optional to use). Fully open source. Swiss ideals - quality, privacy, no backdoors.