Best curved gaming monitors 2018
Back in the 90’s flat screens were the new display tech, and ended the reign of the old CRT’s. Now there is a new display technology in town, and it aims to revolutionize how we view on computers. The new tech on the block is curved screens. Curved screens are not that new, given that the old CRT’s were curved. At CES 2015, curved TV’s made their debut, and shortly after, PC monitors followed. These type of displays are common among gamers, and there is a reason to that.
The deal with curved displays
The whole idea of having a curved monitor, as opposed to the now traditional flat display, is to provide a wider field of view and an immersive watching experience. The curved display also creates a sense of depth when using, making gaming feel more involving and better. Also, it is said that the picture quality is much better since your eyes view the curved display much better; since your eyes are curved, a curved display delivers pictures more accurately.
However, this technology doesn’t come without trade-offs. Curved monitors have poor viewing angles, meaning that you have to seat at limited locations in order for you to get a clear view. Also, given that the viewing surface is curved, it reflects more light.
So is it worth it?
Probably yes. Unlike watching a TV, people using a computer sit facing the computer, which makes the issue of limited viewing angles a non-issue. Secondly, if you are getting a curved display for gaming, you will get the perks of depth and immersive experience, no wonder these screens are favorites for gaming. However, at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference.
Below is a pros and cons table to summarize the curved PC monitors.
- Better viewing angle
- Immersive experience
- Sense of ‘depth’ when watching
- Images are sharper at the edges
- Better contrast performance
- Limited viewing angles
- More onscreen reflections
Looking to buy a curved gaming monitor?
If you have weighed your options and see a curved display being a worthwhile investment, then we do have some recommendations for you. Here are are our top 10 recommendations. We tried as much as possible to cover all the price ranges.
Lenovo Y27f 27" Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor
- Attractive design optimized for gaming; balance of pragmatism and beauty.
- Immersive 27" 1800R curved panel (the most extreme curve panel out there)
- Rapid refresh rate @144 Hz AMD FreeSync technology.
Microboard M340CLZ 34" Curved Gaming Monitor
- 3440x1440 Resolution / Samsung Panel
- AMD Free Sync / Real 100hz
- 21:9 Ratio / 178º Viewing Angle
- DVI / HDMI 2.0 / DP 1.2 / Flicker free
- Korea C plug / Free Volt
LG 29UC97C 29" UltraWide CURVED IPS LED Monitor
- 21:9 CURVED ULTRAWIDE (2560x1080)
- FLICKER-SAFE IPS DISPLAY
- SRGB OVER 99% colour SPACE
- WALL MOUNTABLE (100x100)
- HDMI X 2 // DISPLAY PORT x 1
ViewSonic XG3202-C Curved Gaming Monitor
- 32" Curved VA Panel (FHD, 1920x1080)
- 144Hz, Low Input Rag
- AMD Free Sync, Gaming Mode (FPS, RTS, Gamer, MOBA)
- Flicker Free / Low Blue Light
VIOTEK GN34C 34" Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor
- IMMERSE YOURSELF - With 3440x1440p resolution and a large, curved screen, experience your favorite content in a new way.
- TWICE THE FUNCTIONALITY - Get two monitors for the price of one with dual-screen, same monitor PIP functionality.
- 21:9, 20,000,000:1 DCR - Larger than life widescreen format & dynamic contrast create a more cinematographic feel.
- DUAL LINK DV1, HDMI, DP1 PORTS - This PC monitor provides a variety of connectivity options making it perfect for any setup!
- AMD FreeSyncTM & FPS/RTS TECHNOLOGY - Full optimization for FPS & RTS favorites as well as other demanding games.
AOC C3583FQ 35" VA Curved LED Monitor
- 35" VA Panel (2000R), 2560x1080 Resolution, 160hz, 178 Degree Viewing Angle
- Brightness- 300 cd/m2, Dynamic Contrast Ratio- 50,000,000:1, 21:9 Aspect Ratio, 4ms
- Connectivity- VGA,DVI,(2) HDMI-MHL,(2) Display Port
- Speakers, Audio line-in/out, Narrow Bezel
Dell UltraSharp U3415W PXF79 34" Curved LED-Lit Monitor
- Discover one of the world's first 34 inch 21:9 curved monitors with a panoramic view, cinematic WQHD resolution and superb sound.
- ultra-wide curved screen that offers more display area and enhanced viewing comfort
- Unrivaled usability: Navigate across multiple applications and video inputs with Picture by Picture and Picture in Picture features.
- 3-year Limited Hardware Warranty and 3-year Advanced Exchange Service and the Firmware Update Utility Software; Compatible for windows and mac.
- 1 HDMI(vr2.0) connector; USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Hub (with 2 USB upstream port and 4 USB downstream ports); Speakers (9W x 2= 18W)
ASUS Designo Curved MX34VQ 34" UQHD 100Hz DP HDMI Eye Care Monitor
- Stereo Speakers : 3W x 2 Stereo RMS with Bang & Olufsen ICEpower®
- Full HD AH-IPS LCD display with 178° wide-view angle in frameless design for edge-to-edge brilliance
- ASUS Eye care technology with TUV certified Flicker free and Blue Light Filter for less Eye fatigue
- Featuring dual HDMI ports for multi device connections and D-Sub, DVI-D (via HDMI-to-DVI cable)
- Good Design Award Winner for its ultra-slim, ergonomic design with sturdy sundial-inspired stand
Acer Curved 34" UltraWide QHD Monitor
- The Acer XR 34" Curved IPS Display with Ultra Wide QHD (3440 x 1440) resolution offers the sharpest picture quality and provides a perfect picture with a broader view.
- The Ultra Wide 21:9 aspect ratio presents a more immersive experience with a wider field of view which brings a better movie and game experience compared to a flat display of the same size.
- The Acer XR Series monitor provides different ambient lighting effects that can be adjusted in the settings.
- Two built-in 7W DTS Sound speakers bring world-class sound to your games and movies.
- Signal Inputs: 1 x Display Port, 1 x Mini Display Port, 1 x Display Port Out, 1 x HDMI 2.0 & 1 x MHL. Please refer the User Manual before use.
Acer Predator Z35 35" Curved Full HD Gaming Monitor
- 35" Full HD Curved UltraWide Screen with 2560 x 1080 resolution
- Response Time: 4ms
- Pixel Pitch: 0.32025mm
- Signal Inputs: 1 x HDMI (v1.4) & 1 x Display Port (v1.2)